The Center for Public Trusteeship and Governance strengthens the relationship between state government and public higher education by enhancing the effectiveness of governing and foundation boards and their trustee members.
Through education, advocacy, research, the Center:
- Creates and maintains statewide partnerships that support effective higher education policy and practices
- Helps stakeholders improve governance of public colleges and universities and their foundations
- Advances public policy that contributes to a strong and independent higher education sector accountable to its constituents and stakeholders
- Fosters more effective institution-foundation partnerships that support raising and stewarding private support.
Our policy agenda focuses on the following areas:
- Student welfare and safety
- HEA reauthorization
- Legislation that critically impacts the institution’s bottom line
- State reform that promotes best practices in governance
—Allison Dean Love, member, the Citadel Board of Visitors; commissioner, South Carolina Commission on Higher Education