For Board Members
"AGB is guided by its support for the men and women who keep higher education in trust, with respect for what has come before and high expectations for what will come in the future."
-AGB's guiding value, AGB Strategic Plan, 2006
AGB exists for one reason: to strengthen and protect the unique form of governance that exists in America's institutions of higher education. AGB works with and on behalf of nearly 27,000 volunteers, who serve as trustees and regents of our over 1,240 member institutions.
AGB's philosophy of integral leadership--where a president exerts a presence that is purposeful and consultative, deliberative yet decisive, and capable of course corrections as new challenges emerge--aligns the president, faculty, and the board together in a well-functioning partnership purposefully devoted to a well-defined, broadly affirmed, institutional vision. AGB's programs and services begin with integral leadership in mind, and we work hard to support college and university presidents and chancellors and their boards who lead the nation's most complex and important institutions.
AGB Services for Board Members
In this part of AGB's Web site, we will identify resources that will help you lead your institution. These resources include:
- Trusteeship articles and other publications that address complex strategic questions at the institutional level and inform you about national higher education and state and federal policy trends
- Meetings, including AGB's Institute for Board Chairs and Presidents of independent colleges, which is designed to strengthen the partnership between an institution's president and board chair
- The annual National Conference on Trusteeship, the largest gathering on trustees and regents across all sectors of higher education
- The Ingram Center provides statewide and regional trustee education and board development programs, as well as facilitates state leadership summits and policy dialogues among the state's political leaders, business community, and trustees and leaders of public colleges and universities
- Consulting and other services including board assessment, achievement of high performance, presidential assessment, and consultant-on-call