Please join us after the workshop for AGB’s National Conference on Trusteeship, designed to intentionally connect you to the people, resources, and ideas you need to meet significant governance and leadership challenges. Separate registration is required.
Senior administrators of colleges, universities and affiliated foundations typically have a wealth of academic, advancement, and financial management experience. Most, however, have little familiarity with fiduciary oversight and management of endowments. Institution and foundation board members, similarly, bring rich professional and philanthropic experience, but even those with professional investment experience may be unfamiliar with the unique management challenges associated with higher education endowments and the expectations for members of college, university, or foundation investment committees.
This half-day workshop addresses:
- How higher education endowments differ from other types of investments and the fiduciary and other standards applicable to the staff and board members responsible for endowment oversight
- Different management structures (committee and consultants, in-house investment office, outsource CIO)
- The role of the investment committee and the responsibilities of committee chairs, members, and staff
- The investment policy statement
- Aligning investment strategy with the institution’s mission, needs, and priorities
- Best practices for high-performing investment committees and successful endowment management
Who should attend?
- Board members of colleges, universities, and institutionally related foundations
- College and University presidents, CFOs, and other senior administrators responsible for the oversight of endowment or supporting the work of investment committees
- CEOs and other senior staff of public college and university foundations who work with investment committees.
- Prospective institutional presidents or foundation CEOs who want to develop their understanding of endowment management
The workshop is open to all AGB Members and offered as a complimentary benefit of membership.
David Bass, executive director of philanthropic governance, AGB
Howard Lipman, executive search consultant, AGB Search
John Griswold, senior consultant, AGB
Tom Harvey, senior director Nonprofit Advice, SEI
Nikki Kraus, president and chief client officer, Strategic Investment Group
Ian Johnson, institutional portfolio manager team lead, GIS, Fidelity Investments