Why this is important.
One of the most important duties of governing boards is hiring promising presidents and developing them into enterprising leaders. The success of higher education depends on presidential leadership, and boards utilize presidential assessments to assess executive performance and leadership capabilities.
Presidential assessments continually adapt to today’s ever-changing higher education environment. Effective assessments are not only tailored to the needs of the presidency, but also provide meaningful feedback and substantive professional development opportunities for presidents. While annual assessments remain important milestones, more frequent “check-ins” between presidents and boards are essential to meet the current realities of higher education and prevent future crises.
AGB empowers our members to reexamine their traditional assessment tools and embrace dynamic assessments that enable boards to develop thoughtful presidents who effectively respond to the unique blend of challenges impacting higher education today.
Questions for boards.
These are key questions for your board to consider:
- What does our board expect to learn from this broad assessment?
- What actions should we be able to take based on this assessment?
- How will enterprise status, trends, and leadership figure into this assessment?
- Who should the consultant conducting the presidential assessment interview?
- What steps should we take to ensure confidentiality?
- What work product does our board need from an external, objective consultant leading the presidential assessment for the project to be considered a success?
- What role does educational quality play in presidential decision-making?
We carefully curated these staff-picked resources for you: