Identify areas for greatest impact or gain insights on key issues.
Take advantage of AGB’s 100 years of experience strengthening board governance as a powerful partner to help you prioritize steps for optimizing your board, discuss what’s keeping you up at night, or gain insight on current and emerging issues facing higher education.
Our AGB consulting team is led by thought partners who possess deep understanding rooted in their experience as college, university, system, and foundation board and committee chairs, board members, chief executives, or senior level executives as well as specialists in critical areas for board oversight.
The One-Hour Governance Consultation is a discussion between the president/CEO and/or board chair and an expert AGB consultant who will be paired based on the discussion topic(s) chosen. This discussion can also include a 15- to 20-minute presentation delivered to your board and/or committee members during a board meeting.*
This offering is an annual benefit of your AGB membership, with no additional fee or commitment.
Make the most of your consultation.
Prepare in advance to understand where your board may need guidance or benefit from an outside perspective. AGB tools and services can help you gain greater insight into your board’s challenges and opportunities. Focusing on specifics can help you walk away from your consultation with concrete next steps toward achieving desired future outcomes.
Determine the topic for your one-hour governance consultation by taking the following steps:
- Review a governance checklist of leading practices to identify areas in which your board could benefit from support.
- Take advantage of the Board Self-Assessment Tool and review results with an AGB expert. Or choose a topic of focus from the list below.
Institutions, Systems, and
Institutionally Related Foundations
- Board processes and practices
- Roles and responsibilities of board members
- Structure, culture, and composition of boards
- Effective committees
- Non-negotiable fiduciary duties
- Providing leadership for JDE&I
- Strategic planning
- Risks and opportunities your board may not be considering
- Board assessments and regional accreditation expectations
- Engaging internal stakeholders in shared governance
- Leveraging involvement of external stakeholders without allowing undue influence
- Business model viability
- Merger, affiliation, and partnership options
- Effective relations among the board, CEO, and cabinet
- Student success and aligning to student needs
- Effective partners for institutions
- Growing endowments through turbulent times
- Strategy for real estate portfolios
- Managing and expanding the donor base
- High-performing foundation board members
*The One-Hour Governance Consultation will be delivered virtually or telephonically. The optional 15– to 20-minute presentation to the board will be general to higher education, not adapted specifically for the context of the institution or foundation.
Ready to get started?
Simply fill out the form below and a member of the AGB team will respond to you promptly.