Job Title: Editorial and Administrative Assistant
Supervisor: Editor-in-Chief, Trusteeship; S.V.P., Content Strategy & Development
FSLA Status: Exempt
Approval Date: May 2020
Provides editorial, organizational, and administrative support to the Content Strategy and Development team for AGB print publications and digital resources. Responsibilities include proofreading, content creation, manuscript coding and editing, fact checking, e-book quality control, and record keeping.
- Carry out editorial duties for a bimonthly magazine, Trusteeship, and other print and digital publications.
- Solicit articles, blog posts, and columns, as assigned. Edit and proofread copy and page proofs.
- Assist with the editing and proofreading processes as assigned.
- Draft news stories and blog posts.
- Draft photo captions, sidebars, and other Trusteeship-related material.
- Route permissions and reprint requests to appropriate staff.
- Assist with sending agreements to authors and maintaining files.
- Code manuscripts for books and reports for XML editorial system (e.g. Scribe) as assigned.
- Perform quality control checks of e-books as assigned.
- Produce content as assigned in collaboration with senior Content team staff members.
- Proofread and check facts in various documents and publications to ensure completeness, accuracy, and consistency.
- Edit and proof editorial and promotional material across all departments as assigned.
- Coordinate and support research and administrative processes for publication projects, including research conducted by Content team members or authors.
- Manage online surveys for various publication projects. See above.
- Acquire graphics for print and digital publications in collaboration with senior Content team staff members.
- Implement Trusteeship’s presence on AGB.org
- Web content editing and support.
- Maintain Trusteeship’s social media presence on platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Prepare a wide variety of documents, including correspondence.
- Maintain an electronic index of Trusteeship
- Prepare and maintain files of digital publications.
- Respond to routine requests for author’s guidelines, complimentary issues of Trusteeship or books, reprint permissions, and general information requests.
- Correspond with authors and editors.
- Prepare check requests and backup documentation for the accounting department.
- Respond to requests for digital copies of Trusteeship
- Handle logistics of interdepartmental and consulting editors’ meetings, including scheduling, note-taking, and routine correspondence.
- Manage inventory for AGB stationery.
- Through a rotating schedule provide reception and phone coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (with demonstrated academic excellence) in journalism, communications, English, or a related field.
- A minimum of two years of related professional experience in an editorial environment.
- Editorial experience, including reporting/writing, manuscript style coding (e.g. Scribe), copyediting, and proofreading duties.
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and MS Office required.
- Familiarity with WordPress and/or other CMS systems preferred.
- Familiarity with survey tools such as SurveyMonkey.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style guide desired.
- Comfortable working as part of a team as well working independently.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Availability for limited travel to AGB’s meetings as needed.
To apply: email resume AND cover letter describing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org