How to use this toolkit.
The board professional is the primary liaison between the board and the senior administration of an institution or institutionally related foundation. This essential position provides support, guidance, and operational expertise that help create a strong, strategic board. The board professional also serves as the primary point of contact for AGB membership and is responsible for keeping the membership active and the roster current.
The resources in this toolkit are designed to help you excel in your position through professional development and networking opportunities. By accessing the resources in the toolkit, you will be better equipped to assist your board to govern with confidence and knowledge.
Take the following steps to get started:
- Log in to AGB.org to update your membership roster and confirm your institution’s full-time enrollment (FTE) or your foundation’s assets under management (AUM). Contact concierge@AGB.org for assistance.
- Start networking with your peers through intentional networking sessions and join AGB’s BP Community to gain insights into the various responsibilities of a board professional while learning techniques and processes from the experiences and questions of others in the role.
- Invest time in your professional development by enrolling in the AGB Board Professional Certificate Program™. This complimentary member benefit is a 10-lesson, self-paced online course designed by board professionals for board professionals to assist you in growing your role and becoming a trusted advisor to your president/CEO and board chair.
Jumpstart your membership.
- Access your member profile.
- Update your board roster.
- Review, download, and complete the AGB Board Professional First-Year Checklist.
- Contact membership@AGB.org to schedule an AGB benefits overview with a member of our team and discuss how you can customize your benefits.
For assistance in managing AGB.org emails, requesting alerts for BP-focused events, scheduling a membership overview for your board or president/CEO, or finding a resource to support a topic at an upcoming board meeting, contact concierge@AGB.org.
Take advantage of governance development opportunities.
- Complete the online AGB Board Member Orientation.
- Enroll in and complete the AGB Board Professional Certificate Program™.
- Visit the AGB bookstore and add complimentary digital publications to your personal library.
- How to download an e-book.
- View previous issues of Trusteeship magazine.
- Facilitate a board pulse check with AGB’s Board Self-Assessment Tool.
- Consider recommending that your board chair and president take advantage of a complimentary One-Hour Governance Consultation with our AGB Consulting team.