The Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB) announced today that the Board of Directors has elected five individuals to be AGB officers beginning July 1, 2019. Each has extensive experience in higher education and governance:
- Shauna R. Diggs will become the chair on the AGB Board of Directors. She currently serves as an elected member on the University of Michigan (UM) Board of Regents and is the founder of Cosmedic Dermatology in Grosse Pointe. She is the first physician to serve on UM’s Board of Regents and currently chairs the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation and the Blue Care Network Board’s Health Care Quality and Service Improvement Committee. Diggs earned her bachelor’s degree from UM’s College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and her M.D. from the UM Medical School.
- Beverly J. Seay will remain the vice chair on the AGB Board of Directors. She currently serves on the University of Central Florida (UCF) Board of Trustees in Orlando, where she is chair of the Audit and Compliance Committee and vice chair of the Education Committee. She is also chair of the Dean’s Advisory Board at the Georgia Institute of Technology and serves on the UCF Dean’s Industry Advisory Board at the College of Engineering and Computer Science. She earned her master’s degree in Computers, Information and Control Engineering from the University of Michigan.
- Monroe Miller will also serve as vice chair on the AGB Board of Directors. He currently serves as a trustee of Johnson C. Smith University (JCSU) in Charlotte, North Carolina, and chaired that board from 2013 – 2016. Miller also chairs JCSU’s Human Resource Committee, was recently inducted into the Golden Bull 1867 Giving Society, and previously served on the JCSU Board of Visitors. Miller graduated with his B.S. and M.B.A. degrees from Golden Gate University.
- Angel L. Mendez will continue serving as the secretary of the AGB Board of Directors. He currently serves as officer and secretary of the Lafayette College Board of Trustees. He is also the chief operating officer at HERE Technologies and a board member of Kinaxis; he previously served as the senior vice president of Cisco Transformation, as senior vice president of Global Operations for Palm, and in senior leadership roles at AlliedSignal, Citigroup, and Gateway, Inc. Mendez earned his M.B.A. from the Crummer School at Rollins College.
- Eric P. Blackhurst will remain an at-large member on the AGB Executive Committee. He currently serves as chair on the Alma College Board of Trustees and a member of the Board of Directors of Horizon Bank. Blackhurst is also the associate general counsel for The Dow Chemical Company, where he oversees global corporate transactions, commercial law, legal strategy, and other legal activities. Blackhurst received his B.A. from Alma College, and his J.D. from the University of Kentucky College of Law with highest honors.
“Our directors are tremendous assets to our organization, and I am confident that our new leaders will further enhance AGB’s efforts to support presidents and boards.” said AGB President Richard D. Legon.
Current AGB Board Chair David Miles said, “I am pleased to have such experienced and dynamic colleagues leading our board. Their collective expertise will advance the organization’s mission and strategies for years to come.”